Labels

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Do You Hear The People Sing? *SPOILERS. LES MIS SPOILERS*

                                                Do you hear the people sing,
                                              Singing the song of angry men.
                              It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again.
                                              When the beating of your heart
                                              Echoes the beating of the drums
                                There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes.


 Yep. I watched Les Mis (finally). I don't even know where to begin sharing my feels. If you havent seen it yet stop reading right now.
     
  The main thing that really got me that I wanna talk about, that hit me deep, was the barricade. Specifically, when the barricade fell and everyone...died. (except Marius...four for you, Marius. You GO Marius!) See, while main character's deaths are always painful and sad, there something about the multiple young people, especially when theyre all good friends, and you only know them for a short time, but you fall in love with them in that time, and you wish them to succeed in whatever they are trying to achieve. They were so full of passion. They were willing to die for revolution, and they did. I think that scene made me cry harder than any other scene in the movie. When Marius started singing "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables"...oh gosh. He was voicing everything I think and feel when characters die, especially young groups like that. It's not just like "Ohmygosh they died I liked them that's so saddddd". It's deeper than that. I start thinking about everything they did...the places they liked to hang out together, or in this case, talk of revolution together and sing together. And I think about how they're never gonna do that again. They're never gonna sing passionately about revolution, never share drinks and laugh together...empty chairs at empty tables. I couldn't find the way to put that feeling into words, but Marius put it into song, perfectly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment